The Sun is shinning, the flowers are beginning to bloom and the weather is warming up. With summer right around the corner, we have been very busy at The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla.
Kate Sessions, Windansea, and Shores have all been recently updated. There are new pictures posted under "Rooms".The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla has added five new 32 inch flat screen televisions to our property and we are almost done with the finishing touches on Ellen Browning Scripps and Country Village. New pictures should be up on the website soon.
The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla has beach chairs and towels for the perfect beach day.
Filled with fresh strawberries, citrus fruit, and drizzled with a citrus glaze, The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla is very excited about the new California Citrus Scone.
Chocolate Peanut butter Pots
Makes 24 pots
This is an extremely simple recipe that everyone loves.
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite peanut butter cookie dough
- 24 small peanut butter cups (not the tiny ones but the individually wrapped ones)
- Mini cupcake pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
2. Butter the cupcake pan
3. Add one rounded teaspoon of cookie dough to each cupcake mold
4. Put (do not press) one unwrapped peanut butter cup on top of each dough filled cupcake mold
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dough rises to the lip of each cupcake tin
6. Remove from heat and let cool
7. Serve warm
Note: This tasty treat goes great with vanilla bean ice cream or gelato.
Jungle Bells at The San Diego Zoo
December 11th-23rd, 25th-31st, January 1st-2nd
“What kind of exotic animal gets its wings every time a jungle bell rings? Find out for yourself this month at the Jungle Bells celebration, when the San Diego Zoo is transformed into a magical winter wonderland. You’ll find a nightly tree-lighting ceremony, bell ringers filling the air with music, and lighted animal figures dotting the grounds. Dr. Zoolittle has an interactive “Night before Christmas” show, and you can make some new friends during “Animal Magic for the Holidays” critter presentations. Munch holiday specialties, take a “Candy Cane Lane Magical Journey,” and experience even more seasonal cheer—Zoo style!”
For more information visit: sandiegozoo.org/junglebells/
Balboa Park’s December Nights
“Balboa Park December Nights, the nation’s premier holiday festival, will take place for the 34th consecutive year on Friday, Dec. 2, 5-10pm, and Saturday, Dec. 3, noon-10pm. As always, the event brings families and friends together to spread holiday joy, learn more about the cultural value of Balboa Park and kick-off the “most wonderful time of the year.””
For more information visit: balboapark.org/decembernights/
San Diego Ballet: “The Nutcracker”
December 3rd, 4th, 17th, and 18th
“Leaping Cossacks! Flurries of Snowflakes! and a Legion of Rats! See them all swoop and soar across San Diego stages in America’s Favorite Holiday Event!”
For more information: sandiegoballet.org/season/the-nutcracker.htm
November 20th from 11:30am to 3:00pm
The event is a “Taste & Tour of the Cultural Zone of La Jolla”. The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla, The La Jolla Historical Society The La Jolla Museum of Art, The La Jolla Woman’s Club, Bishop’s School, The Cuvier Club, The La Jolla Presbyterian Church and St. James will all be participating.
The Bed and Breakfast will be providing tours along with a brief history of The Inn and it’s architect, Irving Gill, at 11:30am and 1pm followed by light refreshment and music in the garden. We will also be handing out samples of our gourmet granola and Jay’s biscotti.
“Kudos: The Bed & Breakfast Inn of La Jolla
The Light salutes The Bed & Breakfast Inn of La Jolla at 7753 Draper Ave. for adding to the blooms around the Village.” Click Here to read on
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cup of pumpkin seeds (from about 2 medium pumpkin) rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread seeds on rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake seeds until dry throughout, about 55 minutes.
4. Take seeds out of the oven.
5. Increase Over temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. In a large bowl toss seeds, butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
7. Spread mixture over baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
* Note these savory sweet seeds make a great addition to granola, cereal, pumpkin frenchtoast, and many more favorite dishes.
Pumpkin French Toast
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices white bread
- 3 tablespoons walnut pieces
1. Preheat grill to medium and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk eggs, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and nutmeg until frothy.
3. Dip bread slices in mixture, coating both sides.
4. Grill for about 3 minutes on each side (until each is crisp and brown).
5. Serve with walnut immediately.
* Note to make it extra special serve with candied walnuts and fresh whipped cream.
Every so often, in order to keep up with the times and the ever changing market and to keep the Inn and the Guest Rooms fresh, we begin the process of remodeling. We recently finished doing so with the WindanSea Guest Room. Pictures and video will be taken later this week and be available for viewing the middle of August or before. We are also in the process of re-doing the Kate Sessions Guest Room. Photos and new video will also be forthcoming. Check back with us from time to time to see what else is “New” at the Inn. Look forward to you experiencing our new look up close and personal as our guest.